Sunday 13 March 2011

To Infinity and Beyond

As a kid I would look up to the nights sky and think about the endless portals our universe could contain. That black nothingness which goes on forever containing millions of pieces of useful information. Today my modern equivalent of star gazing is now web surfing. Hello My name is Kyla and I am addicted to the Internet. When capable I search the endless depths of the world wide web for hours, gazing at websites from all over the globe being mentally teleported into Topshop's latest summer/spring collection.

 I think if Dr. Bell were to examine my Internet behaviour I would fit very much into her findings of  'wanting connection' (Bell, 2008).  Her presentation interested me, I found her talking about me as her lab rat even though I've never been in a glass box. I guess I'm not alone in my addiction. I wont lie. It shook me,  forced me to take one small step for Kyla and one even bigger step for my Facebook profile. I disconnected.  Half a deck of cigarettes, a bitchy phone call to my best friend and a twitching eye later I returned. Yes I only successfully completed five hours of restraint but with four new notifications my return was warranted.

Dr. Bell commented on people's desire to also disconnect whereby they take holidays to complete 'dead zones'. For me this would not be possible. I admire those brave souls, but I have a feeling that demographic would be in the age bracket of my mum and dad, trying to escape not only their ringing mobile phones but just mankind in general.

I am a social astronaut and always have been. Dr Bell made me feel guilty for my reliance on the internet. This angered me. She was trying sabotage my relationship with Percy (my lapdog laptop) But No!  Just like Charlie Sheen I don't feel the need to conform to anti social media propaganda. YES I will write my grandmother letters and YES I will play outside, but NO I will not turn off my laptop or disconnect from my online universe.


Referencing:
 Bell, G. (2008). Digital Economy Forum Presentation retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE6QWUKIP5M


Background Photo: 
istockphoto from http://www.istockphoto.com/?lid=73326013&pcrid=4299793161&property=IS

No comments:

Post a Comment